Saturday, March 8, 2008

Can someone explain...

I've always been a little perplexed by the shrillness with which average Americans denounce communism. In one of the scripts (set in 2003) in my Advanced Screenwriting class, a board member of a housing society is found out to be a communist, the rest of the board hounds him out. Wow. There were two things in the script that surprised me - the need to keep communist leanings a secret (after all, it's no longer the age of HUAC), and the hounding.

In India, two states - Kerala and West Bengal - have communist (Marxist) governments, and incidentally both these have one of the highest rates of literacy in the country. So I've tended to look at communists with a sense of admiration for what they've achieved.

I've asked my profs/fellow students about the kneejerk reactions to communism, but never got a very satisfactory answer. Maybe you guys can explain to me... Is it a very American trait? How about Canada/countries in Europe?

No comments: