Saturday, March 8, 2008

a day to savor the snow

It's snowing outside right now. It's beautiful how the flakes swirl, it seems like a slow dance, ad infinitum. I spent about an hour trying to figure out if the flakes all swirled or some followed a straightish trajectory. Not wiser than I was an hour ago. But it did calm me down some. Snow watching is quite mesmerising. I didn't realize I had been at it an hour.

My favorite snow watching time is when I'm in my car though. At night, driving across a dark stretch of a freeway. No one else on the road, no cops to monitor how slow I'm going, headlights set to high beam. As I zip through, it seems as if the snow flakes are rushing to meet me, and sometimes I can almost imagine I'm in outer space. And each of those snowflakes on my windshield a symmetrical thing of beauty.

My dream is that we discover life on outer space before I die. I think that's the biggest challenge for humanity now. We've already fought our wars, worn out our weakest with inequities, and divided ourselves with imaginary maps. An encounteer with outer spacelings will be our chance to start with a clean slate. Or we may be entirely annihilated, if we meet a race as unenlightened as ours. Scary thought I know, but infinitely beautiful - this grand scheme of birth and death. Nothing really matters. And yet everything matters.

PS: please forgive me for sounding peudo. Its all the snow flakes' fault :)

No comments: