Saturday, March 8, 2008

Trapeze artist on a thread

Last evening I went for a long walk. It was one of those sultry days - nothing was really happening, you could hear the twitters, the low hum of a bee somewhere, but nothing really moved, you had to look close to see any life.

And then dancing in the air - so dainty and slim it was almost invisible - was a green worm, maybe half an inch long. Near where its mouth/mandible should've been was a creamish glob of something - crushed petal? pollen? It squirmed and slipped, trying to reach the rear end of its body close to its head. Doubling back, falling. I changed positions, peered closer, but no matter how hard I looked I couldn't find what it was clinging to, what it was trying to get back to. Very slowly I waved a finger in the general direction I expected its support to be. The worm lurched a few inches in the air. Aha! I couldn't see it, couldn't feel it, but I'd found the thread.

I was scared to break the link, so I just let go. The worm continued to bob on its cobweb swing. A car passed by, and a total redneck looking man gave a loud whoop. Yes, I looked the part. Single female with a stroller parked on the sidewalk, wide eyed, peering hard at god knows what. [i]Cuckoo[/i]. The moment passed. I walked back.

For some reason I was reminded of this snippet of a poem by a Sri Lankan, whose name I've forgotten. Quoting from memory, so there might be errors.

[i]I saw a bird
And heard a voice
I ne'er before had seen or heard
To sinful me
such grace was given
On earth to see
The ways of heaven.
[/i]

No comments: