Saturday, March 8, 2008

society

Several things have been haunting me this last week. It's a mish mash born of [i]21 grams[/i], the movie (if you haven't watched it, you should), the one year anniversary of the [url=http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/08/27/AR2005082701157.html?sub=AR]Beslan siege[/url], and a [url=http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9022908/site/newsweek/]Newsweek essay[/url] by a girl whose family takes in foster children.

21 Grams is a beautiful exploration of death and grace, and the unknown ways in which grace can work. Despite its Christian theme, the movie has meaning for all of us. As has become typical in my life, my understanding of the movie had its fulcrum around the accidental death of the children.

I've been reduced to a wordless seething mess, and find the change in myself quite unsettling. I don't think I can bear to open the newspaper again, and read another account of children dying, anywhere in the world, accidental, intentional. I can almost understand why some people would want a God. Am I making any sense? I don't know.

No comments: