Saturday, March 8, 2008

if there's a hole handy, will someone kick me down please?

I cannot believe this is how stupid I am. I had a job interview, then the guy who interviewed me gave me an assignment to do, and asked me to mail it in today at 3:00 pm. Me being the super achiever type finished the assignment last night, let it sit on my lappy and stew in its beauty for a day. Then I read, re-read, finetuned, spell checked and sent it out at 2:00, an hour before deadline. Oh the joy of being such a perfect little prospective employee.

Then, it being a beautiful day, and there being a great sale at Hecht's I took the local bus to New Carrollton and the commuter bus to Annapolis, and hitched a ride with my husband to the mall. Met up with a friend there, had dinner, hung out etc, and just got back an hour ago. Then I checked my email to see if there was any response to the assignment.

Well, wouldn't you know it? The email had bounced, and I had gallivanted all over town without knowing about it. Cocksure I was right in typing out the email, I looked into my diary for the guy's phone number. That's when I realized I had typed out the wrong email id. So I resent the assignment.

Then I decided it would be good to call his office and leave a message about the whole mix-up. Time: precisely 12:23 in the night. It would be nice if the guy would get the message first thing in the morning. I rehearsed the answer I would leave on the answering machine, smiled a few times so my voice would sound pleasant and dialed the number.

A voice answered. I got this totally groggy, disoriented voice at the end of the line. He didn't know me from J. Lo (oh great!), had no idea what I was babbling about. My first instinct was to just cut the call, but I soldiered on. Explained everything, apologized a billion times, and made as graceful an exit I could under the circumstances.

Guess what? The guy had forwarded his messages to his cell phone. There should be a law against forwarding your work messages to your cell phone. And for the mental health of employees, it should be compulsory to switch off cell phones at night. And there should be a law against having names that are longer than two alphabets. My husband is rolling on the floor right now. I better join him I guess.

And oh, someone please come and help me dig some of the earth off the grave I'm digging for myself. Oh what a day. I'm never going to get hired at this rate.

No comments: