Saturday, March 8, 2008

pettiness

This Easter was miserable. My husband and I have an interreligious marriage, I'm a Hindu who's attended Catholic school all her life, my hubby's Catholic, his parents border on born-again Catholics, if there's a group like that. The main worries they have about me and my hubby is that it's all fun now, but what will happen after we die. Hubby and I discussed this, and we decided there was no hope for me : he'll be cavorting in heaven - everything in heaven is bigger and better - and I'll be burning outside the gates, wildly gesticulating to him to come and rescue me. But it'll be too late, and it'll be too much fun where he's at, so he'll just let me burn.

Our situation makes for very interesting trips home, to put it mildly.

Being Hindu has made me think that every religion, even lack of it, is a path to the One Supreme Being. Which poses problems for people who have exclusivist views. My in-laws never acknowledge any of my festivals, and this has rankled me for ages, though I've never said anything to them. This Friday my husband and I had a fight, and I told him I wouldn't ever wish his parents again for any holiday. He took my words at face value, and today wished them on his own. Now I'm feeling totally miserable. Even if I crib about something, it doesn't mean I want to be left out of common pleasantries, especially when I don't really have a problem with wishing them. Ugh, now I've made my bed and it's mine to lie on. I'm really not as obnoxious as I sound.

To everyone who celebrates Easter, my Easter wishes to you. More than anything else, I wish for the maturity to accept people with their flaws, just as they accept me with my huge ones.

No comments: